It is essential to take care of the smallest of things to keep elders safe. Here are some tips to keep in mind for elders living alone or taking care of elders.
- Two battery or solar-powered flashlights. There are also flashlights that can be powered with hand cranks so batteries are not necessary. Make sure the light is bright enough to be useful.
- A first-aid kit –be sure to check the contents of your kit for expired ointments or other items and make sure its contents are appropriate for the elderly person.
- An extra pair of glasses.
- Keep a note of the serial number, make and style of medical devices.
- Medical insurance and Medicare cards.
- Medical alert wallet card or bracelet.
- A list of prescription medications and dosage amounts
- A list of the names and phone numbers of physicians and emergency contacts.