Wrapping of sprained ankle
To help heal the sprained ankle, you will need to relieve pain and reduce swelling. Make an appointment right away for any mild or severe ankle sprain. Your doctor will examine you and let you know if something more serious is wrong with your ankle.
Go to the emergency room if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Pain, bruising, or severe swelling.
- Bleeding, numbness, or a change in the colour of the affected area.
- Your ankle looks deformed or appears dislocated
- You can not put weight
If your ankle is sore and swollen, immediately remove your ankle bracelets or finger rings. Then try the “RICE” method to relieve your symptoms. RICE means “rest, ice, compress and lift”. Is that how it works:
- Rest your ankle (use crutches if necessary)
- Ice on the ankle for 20 to 30 minutes every 2 to 3 hours for the first 2 days.
- Compress (wrap) the ankle lightly, not tightly, with an elastic bandage or anklet
- For the first 48 hours, raise (raise) your ankle higher than your heart each time you lie down.
How do I wrap my ankle?
Remove the compression wrap from the packaging and unroll it. Place a small section of the fabric just behind your toes and start spiraling it toward your heart. Each layer should cover about half the width of the previous one. Continue wrapping the foot, heel, and ankle until each part of the skin is covered, up to several inches above the injury.
If you still have pain and swelling, ask your doctor about over-the-counter pain relievers. Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than 19 years old.