INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
• 4 sweet potatoes
• 1 tsp. ginger – green chili paste
• 1 or 2 tbsp. arrow root flour, water chestnut flour or buckwheat flour
• 1 tsp. chaat masala
• ½ tsp. amchur powder or dry mango powder
• 1 tsp. lemon juice
• 1 tsp. crushed roasted cumin or cumin powder
• ½ tsp. red chili powder
• ¼ tsp. garam masala powder
• rock salt or black salt as required
• oil for frying
1. Rinse the sweet potatoes well in water.
2. Roast them in the oven till they are cooked and soft.
3. Pressure cook with enough water & salt till they become soft.
4. You can also boil them in a pan with water & salt.
5. Drain the water.
6. When they cool down, peel.
7. With a potato masher, mash the sweet potatoes well.
8. Add all the ingredients except oil.
9. Mix well.
10. Shape into medium sized tikkis or patties.
11. Pan fry with little oil till both the sides are browned.
12. While serving garnish with some coriander leaves.
13. Serve sweet potato tikki with a chutney or sauce.
If the mixture feels a little loose, then add some more arrowroot flour or buckwheat flour.
When making for fast, please add sendha namak/rock salt.
If you cannot get dry mango powder, then just add lemon juice.
The spice powders and lemon juice can be adjusted to your taste preferences.