1. Be hydrated. As your body tends to lose a lot of moisture in the summer, it is important to drink lots of water and liquids to keep your skin soft and moisturized. .
2. Sun protection Apply that all-important sunscreen 30 minutes before you step out. If you’ve been out in the sun for a few hours, touch it up again so you’re well protected.
3. Always use a toner. It is essential to keep your pores closed and skin cool by using a toner. Look for a brand that suits you or try rose water as its natural cooling properties make it an excellent toner for the hot season.
4. Use a water-based moisturiser. Do not omit using the moisturizer as it is essential for your skin to remain hydrated. If your regular moisturiser is too oily, go for a water-based one.
5. Skip aerated drinks. It is tempting to have an ice cold aerated drink on a hot sunny day. However, it’s important to remember that these drinks are full of sugar that is not good for your skin or your figure. Instead drink some water, fresh lime, fresh fruit juices, aam panna (green mango drink) or coconut water to stay hydrated.
6. Cleanse your face twice a day. This is highly important even if you’ve been home all day and feel like your skin is clean. Cleansing and moisturising your skin before sleeping is an absolute must.
7. Exfoliate. It is really important to exfoliate skin in the summer to remove dead skin and improve blood circulation to the face. Either choose from any of the cosmetic scrubs available in the market or try this simple one using 4 to 5 tbsps of gram flour, a pinch of turmeric, 5 – 6 drops of rose water and milk or yoghurt. Mix it into a paste and use it to exfoliate your face. Follow it up with a facemask and moisturiser.
8. Cool your skin. Blend half a cucumber and 1 tbsp of yoghurt in the mixer. Apply this to your face for 15 minutes and feel completely pampered.