You can do a number of things to keep your kidneys functioning properly and keep them as healthy as possible at every stage of life.
1. Hydrate, but don’t overdo it. No studies have proven that over-hydration enhances kidney function. It is definitely a good idea to drink enough water, but overdoing it won’t mean kidney will do a better job.
2. Eat healthy foods. Most kidney problems arise out of medical conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes. So, follow healthy, moderate eating habits to control weight and blood pressure.
3. Exercise regularly. Healthy eating habits, regular physical activity can ward off weight gain and high blood pressure. However, be careful. In case you are not fit, overexerting can put a strain to the kidneys. But do be mindful of how much exercise you do, especially if you’re not conditioned. “
4. Use caution with supplements and herbal remedies. Excessive amounts of certain vitamin supplements and some herbal extracts may be harmful to your kidneys.
5. Quit smoking. Smoking can damage blood vessels, which decreases the flow of blood in the kidneys. Smoking also increases the risk of high blood pressure as well as the risk of kidney cancer.
6. If you’re at risk, get regular kidney function screening. “If you have either diabetes or high blood pressure, get yourself routinely checked for kidney dysfunction.