Give fluids to dehydrated people in the following ways:
• Make them sip small amounts of water
• Give them carbohydrate/electrolyte-containing drinks.
• Make them suck on popsicles made from juices and sports drinks/ or ice cubes.
• Sipping through a straw (works well for someone who has had jaw surgery or mouth sores)
Try to cool the person, if there has been heat exposure or if the person has an elevated temperature, in the following ways:
• Remove any excess clothing and loosen other clothing.
• Air-conditioned areas are best for restoring normal body temperatures and to break the heat exposure cycle.
• In case of non-availability of air-conditioning, place the person near a fan or in the shade, if outside. Place a wet towel around the person.
• Use a spray bottle or misters to spray lukewarm water on exposed skin surfaces to help with cooling by evaporation.
• Avoid exposing skin to excessive cold, such as ice packs or ice water.