High fibre foods and lots of fluid are important in treating constipation. You should not use any suppositories, laxatives or enemas without first consulting your paediatrician. .
The treatment is usually decided upon the age of the child. One can try the following treatments depending on the child’s age.
If your child is younger than 4 months old:
• 1 ounce of apple/pear juice in 1 ounce of water, one or two times a day
If your child is 4 months to 1 year:
• High-fibre baby foods, such as cereals, fruits , vegetables, spinach and peas
• Apple/pear juice
If your child is 1 year or older:
• Feed raw, unpeeled vegetables and fruits (peaches, apples and pears) at least three times a day
• Decrease the amount of dairy products
• Increasing the amount of water and juices
• Have your child sit on the toilet for 10 minutes after meals, especially after breakfast, to encourage a regular bowel pattern